Monday, January 4, 2016

Welcome to 2016! It is a whole new Galaxy!

Hiya everyone, Happy New Year, while it is not technically a "new Galaxy", let's just hope that this year will be the one for all of us!  I am going to be working on myself this year.  I want to lose weight and try not to buy so many beads (I did say TRY!  No guarantees on this one).

Last year was my first year trying twinchies.  I really loved them.  While I am totally loyal to inchies I really enjoyed having the bigger canvas to work on.  I encourage you all to join in on one or both challenges.  I love how the challenges have stretched my design abilities and made me a more confident designer.

Another challenge that I started participating in last year was the Dry Gulch Color Challenge. Check it out, you can do ANY kind of media. Not just beads.  First place winner gets $50 gift card and 2nd place gets $25 gift card.  I really like the fact that I have to stretch my color vibes.  Especially since I am not the best at putting colors together.  I know I am getting better at it but I still have issues.

Now for this week we start out with the first inchie of the year and it is a doozy!  I love that this years list over at Every Inchie Monday is all taken from the book Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Doug Adams. Recently the movie has been playing on tv for some reason.  I like it mostly cuz of Martin Freeman who is adorable.

This weeks theme is Galaxy, if you look that word up on Google images you get of course the book but you also get pictures of galaxies of far away places.  So many beautiful pictures and not always easy to portray in beads.  But here was what I came up with.


 It is a take on one of the pictures of a colorful galaxy.  I like how it looks, sadly the picture came out blurry.  This inchie has 7 colors of Delicas in it.  Hope you like it.

I also made a header for my inchies.  The colors kinda blend together but I am happy to use up some more of my orphan colors.  I call them orphan colors (the red ones) because I bought them from a lady and they did not have a number on them and they don't match the colors that are current.  So I assume they are discontinued bead colors.  Anyways, here is the 2016 inchie header.


 Next year I am gonna remember to add some designs to the inchie like I did for the twinchie header.


For this one I used 3 colors of Delicas.  In both headers I used some gold colored beads that are no longer available and i have tons of them so I try to use them often since I have about 17,000 beads.  Yet I still feel like I don't have enough?!?  MWAHHHH!  There are never enough beads!!!

Also I wanted to post pics of last years inchies and twinchies.  This is all 52 of the inchies and all 21 of the twinchies.




That is it for me for this first blog post of the new year.  I pray for health, prosperity and creativity for all who read this in this new year.  Don't forget that if you want to participate in EIM, 2x2x2 or Dry Gulch, then follow the links and join in.  Also this year there will be many challenges on a bunch of the Facebook groups that I follow this year.  I will post on them as well and if you are interested or want more info about them then follow the links I will post.  I would love to see what you come up with.  Have a blessed and creative week everyone!

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see the inchies and twinchies for the year-amazing in fact.

    Always love your work and wish I could do the same.

    Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Chrissie, if you are interested I can always recommend tutorials to help you

      Delete
  2. You are inspiring! As much as I dread flat peyote, I think I am going to check out the inchie and twinchie thing this year for myself. You should check out the Bead it Forward project though with your inchie. http://bead-it-forward.com because this year's theme is space! I love the way your inchies and twinchies look when put together too! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Becca, but you could use any stitch that you want I just love Odd count peyote. It's my favorite. I have thought about bead it forwrd, but I have just never gotten off my ass and worked on it.

      Delete
  3. Your inchies and twinchies all in a row are spectacular - what an awesome way to make and keep your inchies. Galaxy is such an expansive word and you have done a great job of portraying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kia, There was so many ways to go with this one

      Delete
  4. I bead ornaments...my thing. One of my favorite styles involves a peyote band around the center of the ball. I think inchies could be joined and used to make a delightful belly band for ornaments. Especially with a theme...birds, angels, snowflakes, etc. https://www.pinterest.com/ballou1616/beaded-ornaments/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Boodoggy, You are right about the ornaments idea. I make ornaments for my family every yer and the one thing they never have in them is peyote lol. I checked out your ornaments and they are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. Well done on your continued journey of beaded inchies & twinchies!

    Happy New Year to you

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. More beautiful eye candy, Freebird! I like the ornamentation you added to the twinchie. I also have tons of beads that I HAD to have when beading was my thing. I love all the colors of beads. Hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jean, Yes they all like to whisper to me, "buy me!" how can I resist? LOL

      Delete
  7. Wow, I don't know where to start. Perhaps with: Happy New Year!
    Love your collections of last year. But the new inchies and the twinchie are brilliant too.
    I am so happy that you like the Hitchhiker too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Trillian. Happy New Year to you as well. I am looking forward to this years list.

      Delete
  8. Dear Freebird, I am so glad that you like the twinchie project and you have done a marvelous job with it--love seeing them all together! And your inchies, too! Cool looking galaxy. Here's to a brilliant new year! CHeryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, both of these challenges have broadened my designing abilities. I really love both so much

      Delete
  9. what a cool idea. love how they turn out at the end of the year. I have tried doing the delica bead stuff, but I am so not talented in that area. I admire those of you who can do it. I think this would be a fun thing to try though, and at the end you have something that can be a pretty reminder of the past year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, I fell in love with Delicas immediately. You could still try it out and just use beads taht you are comfortable with, I would love to see your interpretations.

      Delete
  10. It's so great seeing your 2015 displays! They are so colorful and pretty!

    Great job on the galaxy! The colors are beautiful. And I love your new twinchie header.

    I might just take on that dry gulch challenge. That beautiful color palette got right in my head and started popping ideas for a pocket letter! Which is kinda annoying as I just went to bed! And now I want to get up and get busy! lol!
    If only there were a couple (or 12) more hours in a day! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, yea creativity sometimes stands in the corner laughing maniacally at us when we are trying to sleep. Just knowing that all we want to do is sleep but creativity wants to succeed. LOL I am with you about those extra hours in the day! I cant wait to see what you come up with

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for mentioning our Challenge! Love your inchies, and a very happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete