Tuesday, September 2, 2014

It's A Renaissance Kinda Thing

I am a bit late at posting  this, mostly because yesterday was Labor Day here in America.  I was lucky enough to be able to go over to my Aunts house for a family reunion.  There was family that I had not seen since the last family reunion and family that I see all the time.  Every bit of it was awesome!  It is so cool to be able to sit around a table and here all the great (and sometimes embarrassing) family stories.  I do hope that everyone got to spend time with their families this last weekend. 

This week over at Every Inchie Monday the theme is Renaissance.  The funny thing is the first thought that I had was of something that I used to watch as a child.  Today if you want to watch TV you just turn on the DVR and pick one of over 500 channels.  Or go on the internet and watch TV shows and movies.  But as a child we had only 6 channels (if we were lucky LOL).  I remember spending a lot of time watching  PBS, specifically, Masterpiece Theater.

I remember all the operas that I would watch.  I couldn't understand what they were saying &  in my young 7-9 year old mind they were wearing the craziest clothes, but I still watched it!?!  I really loved all the layered clothing look of the ladies who sang.  
 



   So this was the inspiration for this weeks inchie.  I hope that you can see the dress with the undergarments showing thru like a lot of the Opera singers and women of that era.  On this inchie I used 4 colors, matte transparent red for the the dress, transparent grey, dark grey matte rainbow and for the background I ended up using 24kt lined opal.  I figured that color would go great with the Renaissance theme, don't you?  Hope you like it.



Don't forget to fly on over to EIM and check out all the great artwork from all the talented ladies there, their work will blow you away, it always does mine!  Also, thank you for your comments they always make my day. 
Have a blessed and creative day.

22 comments:

  1. I love your pictures to remind us of that time!!! Your beaded inch is the best, though! The colors you picked are perfect for this time period!! Awesome job!! Ps I have a question for you regarding bead work. Do you fix beaded pieces for people? You were the first person I thought of when this pearl neck tie was given to me, and the strings are becoming fragile. It's about 5o yrs old. It was my Aunts. Anyway please let me know and if there is a better way to contact you. Thanks a bunch!!! have great week! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annette. I loved doing this one it was so pretty. I did send you a message thru hangouts, I think, but I forgot to add my email address. So when you answer me back add yours and I will send you my email addy. Cant wait to see the beaded beauty. Thanks for thinking of me

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post to explain your amazing inchie.

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unreal!!!!!!! I am just starting my 6 week break from work and listening to (and watching Zeffirelli's La Scala production) to Pagliacci opera. Good on you - it ain't over til the fat lady sings. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each week I wonder how you are going to interpret the theme and you never fail to come up with something inspirational. Loved reading where the idea came from.You got your colours spot on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Lisette, that is so nice of you to say. I know I had always felt like I was out of place cuz I knew alot about PBS shows as a kid. But now I think it makes me more well rounded haha. Thanks about the colors. As a jewelry designer/pattern designer my 2 biggest stressers are clasp choice and color choice, Glad I got it right!

      Delete
  5. I really like your inchie and the story of this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up outside of NY city and went to the opera a few times. Amazing costumes. I love your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cool Jean. I would love to go to check it out just once. Thanks

      Delete
  7. Beautiful interpretation of Renaissance. The overlapping fabrics in the dress are very visable. Nice little story too. I remember getting only a few channels. We were lucky where I live in Canada close the American border where we got the American as well as Canadian stations. Woohoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Kia you got double blessed with the channels lol. Thanks

      Delete
  8. Oh yes I like it. I thought of sewing a red dress but didn't because I was afraid of failing. So I am happy you did one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Trillian, I bet the red dress would have looked beautiful.

      Delete
  9. Love the red dress, but I can only imagine if you choose the Viking when that might come around as a theme! Have a brilliant day! c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Now there is an inchie to fear! I will prolly have nightmares trying to figure that one out

      Delete
  10. I love your beads! It just brought a smile to my face! I also enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete